Microsoft Exchange 2010 – 2019 (EWS) Considerations
Transend supports migrating to or from Exchange versions 2010 – 2019 via Exchange Web Services (EWS).
When performing a migration of bulk users using a migration account with administrator rights (so that you don’t need end-user passwords), you will need to assign an Application Impersonation role to your migration account in Exchange Server via EWS, Exchange Web Services over port 443 (HTTP or HTTPS).
Assign impersonation to your migration account using the Exchange Management Console, or use Exchange PowerShell. Impersonation allows you to migrate user accounts using the migration account’s login and password so that you do not have to provide user passwords.
Setting up Impersonation in Exchange Management Console
Create an Admin Role from the Exchange Admin Portal:
- Sign-in to the Exchange Admin Center using an Admin account.
- Click Permissions from the menu on the left hand side of the screen.
- Click on Admin roles from the top menu.
- Click on the Add a new Admin Role Group icon.
- Name: Transend Migration Console
- Select: ApplicationImpersonation Role
- Add the migration acccout: firstname.lastname@example.org (or name the account whatever you desire)
- Click Save.
- Add the Impersonation account email address and password into the configuration Settings in Transend Migration Console and click Verify.
Note: Depending on your authentication, the impersonation service account may be:
- UPN name
- Email address
Use PowerShell to Assign Application Impersonation
Alternatively, you may assign impersonation to your migration account using Exchange PowerShell.
- Open the Exchange Management Shell.
- Run the New-ManagementRoleAssignment cmdlet to add the permission to impersonate to the specified user.
- Change “ServiceAccount” to the account you are assigning impersonation to.
The following example shows how to configure Application Impersonation to enable an administrator account to impersonate all user accounts in an organization:
New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Name:impersonationAssignmentName –