The recommended system requirements and performance guidelines will help you achieve optimal migration performance without experiencing connectivity or network-related errors.
If Transend is performing your migration as a service, please see our migration farm requirements.
Transend Migration Console can be run on virtual or physical machines on a Windows operating system. We recommend building a farm of migration machines (with similar specs) and scaling the project across the farm to optimize performance and reduce processing time.
While the software runs on a Windows OS, there are options for Mac users.
Disable Anti-virus or Create Directory Exclusions
We strongly recommend disabling anti-virus on all machines performing migrations, or creating anti-virus exclusions.
Warning! Antivirus scanning will significantly reduce performance, and potentially result in data loss!
See additional details for which directories to exclude, or how to disbale A/V.
Disable MFA on any administrative accounts used for migration authentication purposes.
- Windows 8 or 10, or Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016 or 2019 with current Service Packs. Set the Windows display language to English to ensure services operate correctly.
- Intel i5/i7 processor or equivalent; 4 or more cores.
- 8 GB RAM or greater (optimized for your Motherboard).
- Use hard drives that are 7200 RPM or greater.
- At least 100 GB of available disk space (possibly more depending on requirements specific to your environment, but no less than 50% or more available disk space).
- High performance independent 10/100/1000 Network PCI/PCIe/SCSI Network Adapter.
- Must be running .Net Framework v4.7.1 or higher.
- Disable any scheduled server backups during migration processing.
- Configure workstations and server to operate under only one protocol.
- Convert on a hard wired (not wireless or VPN) 10/100/1000 LAN segment.
- Dedicate a Switched LAN segment to the workstations and servers involved in the migration.
- Update Network card drivers to the current version.
Server and Workstation Considerations
- Disable anti-virus on all machines performing migrations. Alternatively, you can create anti-virus exclusions for the following directories: C:\Windows\Temp, C:\ProgramData\Transend.
- Exempt the following processes from scanning: tmagent.exe, tmcd.exe, tmcmd.exe
- Important! Failure to disable antivirus (or set exemptions) will significantly reduce performance and potentially result in data loss.
- If running on VMware, follow best practices to Maximize Performance and CPU Utilizatiionon
- Disable SPAM filter during migration.
- Disable directory sync (OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.) to ensure that sync services don’t interfere with Transend Migration Console files.
- Update Transend software to the current version.
- Minimize network latency: migrate local files where possible, locate migration nodes in the same network segment as mail servers, access over WAN only when absolutely necessary.
- Set Windows to optimize memory for “best performance” under Windows Advanced Settings.
- If running software to remove Temp files and/or Windows Registry entries from a computer (i.e. CCleaner or similar), we recommend restarting all machines running Transend products (including machines with Remote Agents) after usage of system cleaning tools.